Sunday, March 23, 2014

I'm Moving! (my blog), or Meditations Upon Blogging

Church Coffee has been fun (sometimes), but I’m moving to a different site with a different look and feel. The type of content I post, however, will not likely change very much.

One of the more common questions I get about this blog is why I do it at all. Friends ask, “You don’t really have time for that, do you?” Well, no, not really. Nevertheless, I think the blogosphere is where much of our public conversation takes place. Just look at the constant stream of ideas moving through the Methoblog site or UM-Insight, and these are just a little slices of the blogging world. Discussions that used to take place in publicly debates, in the editorial and “letters to the editor” sections of newspapers, and on talk shows have now found a new and very dynamic home in the world of blogging. Unlike these other venues, moreover, interactions in the blogosphere take place very quickly, almost in real time.

I want to be a part of these discussions because I care very much about the Church, The United Methodist Church in particular, and the type of discourse in which we engage as Christians. Blogging is a way to speak to issues that you care about. It can also be a way of modeling intellectually virtuous dialogue (though this does not always happen). Boiled down to its most basic function, blogging is writing, and writing has for centuries been a way of bringing about change through the exchange of ideas.

I’ve found some real kindred spirits in the blogging world. I’ve also run into some spirits that don’t seem to be all that kindred, and a few who have been holding flamethrowers. That’s the world of blogging. It is a vast, fast-moving, uncensored stream of ideas and information. If you’re thinking about starting a blog, it can be a very rich experience, but you need to have thick skin. It is not an undertaking for the faint of heart. If you offer your ideas for public consumption, they will indeed be consumed.

Many thanks to Joe Graves for helping me get the new site started. He has put some serious work into the new site and helped me think through its layout, design, structure, etc. 

I hope you’ve enjoyed Church Coffee, and I hope you enjoy the new site, too, which you can access at www.davidfwatson.me. The If you'd like to subscribe to it, you can do so here

1 comment:

  1. Please continue to write more because it’s unusual that someone has something interesting to say about this.
    Will be waiting for more! To get new information visit here
    mobile coffee vans brisbane
    mobile coffee van brisbane

    ReplyDelete